Hello 2017! Time to Get Started
Happy New Year!
Sure enough, after seeing almost no new listings for weeks, today we’ve already had 8 hit the market (which really isn’t a lot, but better than nothing :)). So, if this is the year you buy or sell, time to get ready. This is what we’d advise friends over beers or clients over coffee:
Planing on buying this year? In our experience it’ll take you 3 to 5 months from when you actively start looking to getting in your new home and you’ll likely write 3 offers before you get the one. So we recommend getting going now, as peak home buying season is April, May and June (that’s when the greatest number of homes hit the market).
- Understand the big picture: check out our home buying guide so you understand the important milestones for buying a home. Don’t fret the details so much, that is what your agent is for. We’ll guide you every step of the way.
- Get pre-approved: yes, it is good to know what you can afford, and fix any credit issues sooner rather than later, but more important, it is good to have it in place so we can move quickly on putting an offer together when your dream home pops up. Last year, during prime buying season, the median days on market was only 8 days. Here are the lenders we work with the most.
- Find an agent: figure out who you want to work with before your dream home pops up. Of course, we’re agents and would be happy to help :). Whether you work with us or someone else though, be sure to ask potential agents these questions.
- Get alerts: sign-up on Redfin for email or iPhone/Android alerts so you know as soon as home hits the market that meets your criteria
Buying New Construction
If you’re thinking of buying something new, it is already under construction right now but likely not listed on sites like Redfin just yet. Get in touch and we can help you find out what is being built before it goes for sale.
- Talk to an agent first: before you lift a paintbrush, or do a big remodel, find an agent you trust and get their advice on what you should and shouldn’t do to get your home ready. You might be surprised by what they recommend.
- Get your place ready: with your agent’s checklist in hand, get your place looking sweet. It’ll likely take you longer than you think.
- Sell before July 4th: to sell your home quickly and for more money, we recommend selling before everyone disappears for the summer. So, get your home on the market and pending before the July 4th long weekend.
Need to Sell to Buy?
Start by talking to your lender and confirm that you really will need to sell before you buy. If that does prove to be the case, talk to your agent about how you could sell your home to someone but then rent it back from them for a few months while you find the place you want to buy. You can typically get 90 days doing this (3o day close, 60 day rentback).
I’m always happy to get together over coffee or beers to talk about your home search or swing by your home to talk about selling.